biomi.org is the personal website of Mikko Heikkinen (mikkohei13).
System for storing and managing zoological, botanical and garden specimens, collection metadata and loans. Started as a side project, grew into a national system. Developed at Finnish Museum of Natural History Luomus, used in several museums accross Finland.
Tools to read DwC files and import them to Elasticsearch index.
Service that scrapes air quality data and republishes it as JSON API. Example data from downtown Helsinki.
Simple map application that displays EU Bird Directive data.
Service to create and take part in birdwathing competitions. Displays results as realtime statistics and charts. Examples:
Tools to display and compare winter bird census data from Luomus API as statistics and charts. Examples:
Growing collection of small tests and things to learn.
Service that scrapes parliament votings data and republishes it as XML API. More information in English.
Tools to record weather and other data from ioBridge sensors to MongoDB database.
Blog posts in English
- From a Side Project to a National Information System – Agile Development in a Museum 2016-01-17
- Trouble and solutions with museum specimen identifiers 2015-08-13
- Strategic thinking and planning 2015-03-15
- Why I like Twitter more than Facebook or Google+ 2012-03-20
- Finnish Parliament votings API 2011-05-24
- Nature of Santorini, Greece 2006-09-28